This area is the vacation hot spot in Ohio with many attractions and things to do and see including the voted number one amusement park on the planet, Cedar Point with 17 roller coasters, several rides and live entertainment. Several of our guests have visited one or more of the Lake Erie Islands ( Kelleys Island or Put-In-Bay) via ferry boats departing from various spots along Lake Erie. If the Islands interests you, check out the Goodtime I which has daily cruises to both Islands departing from downtown Sandusky.
If you have interests in auto racing, you may want to attend a drag race at one of the top drag strips in the country, Summit Motorsports Park. For golfers, we have several golf courses in the area and a very good one, Eagle Creek Golf Club, located not more than ten minutes away and there's a nine hole course even closer.
For the history buffs, we suggest a visit to our local Firelands Museum (an easy walk from us), President Hayes Center in Fremont or Thomas Edison's Birthplace in Milan. There are six wineries within 45 minutes and one, D D Smith Winery is within ten minutes. Once you've seen our stately West Main Street homes, you'll want to take a walking tour of the Historic West Main Street District where periodically, summer guided walking tours were given by the local Firelands Historical Society. Many guests have also taken the 15 minute walk to the revitalized and historic uptown area with several unique shops including an Amish Oak store - Arters, a couple of specialty furniture / home decorating shops, a coffee shop Sherri's, a jewelers, two antique storesl, a florist shop (home decorating and Christmas items) and other unique shops inluding When Pigs Fly.. You may wish to have a massage and we have a nice one, Day Spa, in the Uptown area with a full floor dedicated to spa services. And just north of Milan, the Culinary Vegetable Institute offers an unparalleled fine dining experience that focuses on locally sustainable grown products.
For those who wish to participate themselves, we have tennis courts available in the next block, biking trails in the area, bird watching at Ohio State preserves, the Marblehead Lighthouse, fishing, horseback riding and more.
We have several brochures plus we can provide touring suggestions with ready made maps and on places to visit while in the area. And, you don't have to drive anywhere once you arrive as you can make use of five public rooms, two patios, porches, or read a book on a bench in the gardens. Let us assist you with options on things to do while you are here. Several attractions and many links are listed below for you convenience. If you didn't find an attraction or site that interests you , we'll be happy to provide assistance and , when you arrive here, can provide maps.
- Eagle Creek Championship Golf Club - Norwalk - 10 minutes - Well manicured 18 hole country club type course with great fairways, tees, and greens. Rated 4 1/2 stars by Golf Digest..
- Summit Motorsports Park- 10 minutes - One of the best drag strips in the country - 30,000 seats - World Nationals plus several special events.
- Firelands Museum, Lanning Research Building and Firelands Historical Society - Norwalk - 5 minutes - second oldest museum in Ohio -- Guided Walking Tours of West Main Street District ...Plans activities such as: Norwalk Garden Tours , Open House Tours, Outstanding Guest Speaker programs.
- Health Spa / Massages (5 minutes) - Norwalk --- Christian Roberts Salon & Spa -Easy 15 minute walk or less than 5 minute drive. Full spa with dedicated floor to spa treatments.
- Cedar Point Amusement Park - Sandusky - 25 minutes - For the young in us all. Live shows, 16 roller coasters, lots of rides.... voted best park on the planet.
- President Hayes Center - Fremont, Ohio - 35 minutes - Tour the 19th President's stately 31-room Victorian Mansion and visit the nation's first presidential library all on a 25 acre wooded estate.
- Six wineries are located within 45 minutes: A new winery in Norwalk called D & D Smith Winery is only 5 minutes away , Firelands Winery, 25 minutes, and Mon Ami Winery, 45 minutes ( Wine tasting ... Beautiful building and grounds -- two restaurants), Quarry Hill Winery and its great farm market all surrounded by peach and apple orchards, Berlin Heights (20 minutes) and Matus Winery (25 minutes), Wakeman and the Paper Moon near Vermilion (35 minutes)..
- Thomas Edison's 1847 birthplace Milan, Ohio - 10 minutes - Visit the birthplace of the world's greatest inventor with 1093 american patents -- quaint city square with antique and specialty shops or visit Milan Historical Museum , Milan, Ohio
- Kingwood Center -- Mansfield, Ohio - 40 minutes - A forty-seven acre display garden and cultural center - Beautiful gardens and Free.
- Marblehead Lighthouse, Marblehead - 50 minutes - One of the most photographed sites on Lake Erie
- Restaurants -- As the premier vacation area in Ohio, there's plenty of restaurants in the area however we have picked a few Unique Restaurants (non chain) in the area to recommend: In Uptown Norwalk - Berrys Restaurant and Dinky Pub & Grille- An easy walk to a Norwalk tradition of casual dining in a nostalgic atmosphere of tin ceilings, stained glass, historic photos with good prices too ! Also in the uptown area of Norwalk is The Freight House that utilizes an old train station which specializes in great hamburgers and sandwiches. Huron, Angry Bull Steakhouse featuring prime rib, steaks & seafood ; Chez François - Vermilion -- one of the top restaurants in the Zagat Survey for Ohio. Terrific view on the Vermilion River and you'll be treated to a truly wonderful French dining experience
- Nature Preserves / Trails (25 minutes) - Old Womans Creek - Sheldon MarshLake Erie Islands - Put-in-Bay and Kelleys -- Enjoy a ferry boat ride and trip to Put-in-Bay & Middle Bass Island via Miller Ferries, located at Catawba Point. Ferry boats to Put-in-Bay and Kelleys Island leave from Sandusky and other nearby locations only 25 to 45 minutes from Norwalk.
- Amish Country - 60 - 75 minutes ...... Downtown Cleveland, Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, Major Sports - 60 minutes ...... Toledo Museum of Art - 60 minutes