A Brief History
Georgian Manor Inn is a 27 room Georgian Revival style home. Designed by Vernon Redding of Mansfield, Ohio, the home was built in 1906 by John M. Vaughn for Dr. W. H. Merritt, a local dentist and his wife Mary Ford Merritt.
In 1945 the home was sold to the second owners, Dr. and Mrs. Edel ( had no children ) who then sold the property to Howard and Pat Fisher in 1961 who owned a musin store in up town Norwalk.. In 1995 the home was purchased by the seventh owners, Judy and Gene Denney, the present owners and inn hosts, who purchased the home with the intent of restoring the spacious house to its original stately prominence, and to be shared with guests.
Now restored to its original beauty and stateliness, the inn is filled with antiques, period reproduction and fine art works. Our guests have the opportunity of stepping back in time to a by-gone era of a more relaxing and elegant period.
About Your Hosts
Hosts/Owners, Judy and Gene Denney, purchased the stately home in November 1995 to open an upscale bed and breakfast (small inn) for business people, holiday and special occasion travelers who desire higher quality lodging and amenities. After holding several senior management positions (including president/CEO) during his thirty years in the automotive/truck industry, Gene and Judy utilize their experiences of travel and entertaining people at all levels and backgrounds to provide an elegant and homey, upscale accommodation.
Gene and Judy have significant interest in landscaping and gardening, golf, travel, fishing, most sports, antiques, history, genealogy, reading (particularly American presidents and English royalty), card and game playing, decorating and shopping. They have private, separate living quarters on site away from guest rooms and away from the five public rooms thereby providing guests with plenty of privacy and space much like they have at home.